Monday, April 8, 2013

San Juanico Bridge at high noon



i arrived in Tacloban from Naval at around 10am and the sun heat was a killer. i had to take my brunch yet and then be told by the locals of varied instructions as to where i can take a ride going to THE San Juanico Bridge. yes, that longest bridge i first saw only in drawing in my first or second grade Sibika at Kultura textbook. just like seeing the Banaue Rice Terraces, i felt a pang of nostalgia there even though this was just the actual first time i laid my eyes on it.


the jeepney i rode on from the downtown didn't cross the bridge to get me to Samar, much to my disappointment. it's already 11:30 and see above what i had to hike/climb. this was the last stop of this trip and i had no more spare time to postpone this.

suicidal?
how i wish i was walking along the road during sunrise or sunset but somehow, seeing the teal-colored water below eased my burden. on the right side there's a very shallow part and the water was crystal clear.



when i got to the highest part of the bridge, i felt so much relief not just from the thick and huge bars that served as my shed but also from the view up there. it's amazing how serene it felt there notwithstanding that time of the day. the water was just so charming and magnetic, i almost jumped in. just kidding. but if anyone has done that before, i'd love to do it, myself, too. spell F-U-N.




the more picturesque portion of the bridge can be seen when you go farther down the Samar side of it. unfortunately, i couldn't push myself any more to go that far because i was too exhausted and dehydrated already. i just chose to walk back down to Leyte because it's a shorter distance. poor me, i never really set foot on the Samar soil.



this walk in the San Juanico bridge is one of the highlights of my Leyte-Biliran birthday trip. this was the last of the three days that i had been excessively exposed to the raging sun. but it's worth it really because like they say, it's always that great feeling when your history books come to life.

5 comments:

  1. PI. back packer ka na pla ngayon.. buti ka pa napupuntahan mo na ung mga historical places sa libro ng sibiki at kultura. ako, Magellans cross pa lang ata. hehehehe.. so happy for you PI. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PI! i miss you so much. sana magkita tayo soon. thanks for dropping by! :)

      Delete
  2. The turquoise water makes me jump off the bridge too! hahaha! I've never been to Samar either! Perhaps this is one good reason to go back to this bridge and take me with you!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. true that. i have to go back there with you. whether in the near or far future, we have to. :)

      Delete
  3. And you just made me win an argument over a friend saying it's now prohibited to walk from end to end! :)

    ReplyDelete